Configuring a pppoe link on OpenBSD
A few years ago, I became fed up with my ISP-provided modem-router combo due to lagginess, sluggish DNS, and overall untrustworthiness. I ended up purchasing a Linksys WRT1900 and flashing it with dd-wrt, which chugged along happily for a couple years. However, later in its life, the router would sometimes stop responding, and lazily I would simply reboot it. Slowly, this pattern started occurring more and more frequently, up until the end of its life.
I decided to make a change. I had been using OpenBSD and Freebsd on and off for a better part of ten years, and I figured it was about time to move to a router that I could trust.